If you are a compassionate and hard-working individual who is looking for a career in the healthcare industry that does not involve much time or expense for training, you should consider training to become a certified nursing assistant. Certified nursing assistants in New Jersey must receive approved training and pass the certification exam before working as a nursing assistant.
You will need to complete a Nurse Aide in Long Term Care Facilities Training and Competency Evaluation Program if you want to work at a long-term care facility in New Jersey. These training programs require at least 50 hours of classroom and lab training and 40 hours of practical clinical training. This is a total of 90 hours of training for prospective nursing assistants.
You will need to attend a Personal Care Assistants training program that has been approved by the Department of Health and Senior Services in New Jersey if you want to work in an assistant living facility. These courses offer 69 hours of learning in the classroom and another 16 hours spent gaining hands on experience working with patients.
You will need to sit for and pass the exam for nursing assistant certification if you want to work as a CNA in New Jersey. You will qualify to sit for this exam after completing a training program that has been approved by the state of New Jersey.
Transferring CNA Certification to New Jersey
If you have moved to New Jersey or are moving to New Jersey and hold an active nursing assistant certification, you can apply to transfer the certification to New Jersey. You will need to obtain an application for reciprocity through the Department of Health and Senior Services. Your application will be reviewed to determine whether or not the certification you hold from another states meets all standards for qualified nursing assistants in New Jersey.
Exact Steps For Transfer:
- Make certain that your certification is still active in the state where you were originally certified. The CNA registry in that state can endorse/verify your certification. The registry can charge you a fee for this process.
- Contact the Pearson Vue Company by calling: 1-800-274-5984. They handle CNA testing in New Jersey. They will provide you with an application for endorsement.
- Ask the company if there is any fee that you need to include with this application.
- Read all instructions on the forum and contact Pearson Vue if you have any questions.
- Complete the Form for Endorsement in its entirety.
- Fill out a Criminal Background Investigation Form and then go to one of the approved law enforcement offices to have your fingerprinting done. You will be provided with an address to which you send your criminal background check form.
- Make certain to answer all questions and to include any required documents.
- Submit the application packet to the address provided on the Application Form.
CNA Certification Renewal in New Jersey
When you receive certification as a nursing assistant, you will probably notice that the certification expires in two years. You will need to renew your nursing assistant every twenty-four months throughout your career as a certified nursing assistant. As long as you have not allowed your certification to lapse, have not been convicted of any crimes and do not have any complaints against you from patients, you can easily renew your nursing assistant certification in New Jersey. The forms will be sent to you a few weeks before your license is set to expire to ensure you have time to complete your certification renewal paperwork and submit the documents before your certification expires.