CNA Certification in Connecticut

There are some things that you will want to know if you are planning to work as a certified nursing assistant in Connecticut.  You will need to become certified before you can be employed as a CNA.  Certification for individuals with no previous experience or certification in another state can be achieved by attending a state-approved training course and by taking and passing the test for certification.

Training Programs and Requirements in Connecticut

You cannot sit for the nursing assistant competency exam in Connecticut unless you complete a nursing assistant training program.  This program must be among those that are approved by the state of Connecticut.  State approved training programs will cover at least 100 hours of training.   It will be necessary to spend 16 hours in classroom study before starting any clinical segments of your training.   Some of the training will take place in the classroom and other training will be in a clinical setting.

CNA License Renewal

You will renew your nursing assistant certification every two years.  It will be necessary to have worked for at least 8 hours during that time period in order to renew your certification.  If you have not worked during the past two years as a nursing assistant or in a related position, you will need to take and pass the certification exam for nursing assistants again.

Employment details will be verified as part of the renewal process.  You will need to submit your nursing assistant certification renewal forms before it expires.  Forms are typically sent to you at least 2 months before the due date.  You should complete the form as soon as possible and send them to the address provided to ensure that they are received and processed before the due date.

The renewal form can be obtained at:

Your employer should fill out the employment verification form, which can be found at: under the Registry Services section. All forms should be sent to:

CT Nurse Aide Registry Program
Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Avenue, MS#12MQA
P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134-0308

Transfer CNA License/Certification to Connecticut Via Reciprocity

IF you have moved to Connecticut from another state from which you hold a nursing assistant certification, you should contact the Department of Public Health.  You might be able to receive certification in Connecticut through reciprocity.  It would not be necessary to complete a nursing assistant training program in Connecticut or to take the certification test.

You should also note that if you graduated with a degree as an LPN or an RN from an accredited college or training school, you can apply to receive a CNA certification in Connecticut without the need to complete a training course or sit for the competency test.  Contact the state of Connecticut to determine if you qualify to have training requirements waived.

Steps to transfer your CNA license to Connecticut from another state

Documents that will be required:
– A copy of your current and active certificate or letter.
– A license verification form your current CNA registry(the state you are transferring FROM)

1) Fill out the Nurse Aide registry application available at
2) Attach a check for $55 to the completed form.

Mail the completed documentation above to:

Prometric 7941 Corporate DriveNottingham, MD21236

Phone: 866.499.7485 Fax: 800.813.6670


Paulette asked: “I am planning an moving back to MD where I am originally from and got my cna/gna certificate before i came here what am i to do to get my MD certificate back”

Answer: Once you move back to MD, you will need to contact the relevant licensing body and show them proof of your active status in the CT nurse aide registry. They might make you fill up a reciprocity form, but considering you had a license there you will just need to show proof of employment and active license status in CT.

Michelina asked: “Not too long ago I found out that my CNA license has expired. Im currently working as HHA at the VNA in Waterbury CT for the last 5 years.  I would like to renew my CT license please let me know what do”

Answer: Considering your license has been expired for more than 5 years, you will need to re take the training as well as do the certification exam again. Working as a HHA without the supervision of a licensed professional does not count as relevant work experience for CNA renewal. If you need help paying for tuition, you can look at Free CNA programs in Connecticut. You will also find this helpful: CNA classes in Connecticut


9 Responses to CNA Certification in Connecticut

  1. Saige May 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

    It Says If I Have Not Worked During The Past Two Years As A Nursing Assistant That I Will Need To Take And Pass The Certification Exam For Nursing Assistants Again, But I’m Unsure About How To Go About Filling The Registration Paper Out And Do I Need To Re-Take Training As Well?

    • Admin June 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

      Most likely you will need to just take the certification exam again. You can contact the state nursing board to clarify.

  2. Cheryl Lallo June 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

    Can I hold a RI and Ct. Certification at the same time I live near the border would like to work in both states and what is the cost of obtaining a Ct. Certification

    Thank You

    • Admin June 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

      I’m not sure that’s possible since you need to transfer your license to another state to get a new license.

  3. Antoinette February 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

    I have been trying to download an apllication for endorsement of my cna license to work in the state of CT. i am having no luck. can some one please help me!!!

    Thank You,


  4. LB April 17, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

    I am currently on workers comp b/c of a car accident and have been out for 5 months so far. I recently found out my job has me working as a HHA and not a CNA! They must have reinstated it b/c I am currently still a CNA 5 years later. My question is because I’m on workers comp, what is the minimum amount of hours does a CNA have to have per year to keep the license? And what will happen to my license if the state finds out my job has me in the books as a HHA and not a CNA? Will my license be taking away?

    Thank you for you time,

  5. Joel May 1, 2013 at 1:59 am #

    I currently worked as a CNA and also an Assisted Living employee and realized that my license has expired. How can that be? I worked almost 6 months in both jobs. I was wondering why or what I can do to get my license back in good standings.

  6. Danielle November 20, 2013 at 2:41 am #


    I took and passed a ct cna program in 2005. I had clinical hours and worked with it in 2006. Then did other things for a few years. I want to know if (and how) I can retake and pay for the exam without taking a program again.? How and where do I do this? Help !! Need more hours before PA school.

  7. Audrea January 20, 2023 at 10:24 pm #

    I did , CT , MA and Ri they say they are transferring it but actually you still have it in your home state also

Leave a Reply