CNA Certification in Washington

Start a rewarding career as a nursing assistant in the state of Washington by receiving your nursing assistant certification.  Nursing assistants work under the direction of nurses in various healthcare facilities and settings.  After working for awhile as a certified nursing assistant, you might decide to further career in healthcare.

Training Hours and Requirements

The training programs for nursing assistants in the state of Washington are approved by the Department of Social and Health Services.  In order to be eligible to sit for the nursing assistant certification competency exam, you must attend a training course that was approved by the Department of Social and Health Services.

In the state of Washington, training programs must cover at least 85 hours of studies.  Some of this time will be spent in a classroom.  Other time will be spent in a clinical setting.  You will have an opportunity to gain hands on experience.  Prospective nursing assistants must submit to and pass drug testing.  A health screening is also required.

Transfer your CNA certification to Washington via Reciprocity

You can apply to receive certification through reciprocity in the state of Washington. This is a process in which you apply to the state to transfer your certification from a prior state. You will need to be listed as active and in good standing in the former state in order to qualify to apply for reciprocity. If your certification in the other state has expired, it will be necessary to go through the certification process in Washington.

The State of Washington will ensure that you are listed in the Nursing Aide Registry from your former state. They will verify that you completed an accredited training and that you were granted certification as a nursing assistant.

The steps for transferring are as follows:

  1. Complete the application form which can be accessed here:
  2. Provide all demographic information in the first section and answer all personal data questions in the second section. Attach any required documentation based on your answers.
  3. Complete the Caregiver Employment History Option in Section 3
  4. Complete section 5 listing the details for all other licensing and certification credentials in the healthcare industry that you hold in another state.
  5. Complete Section 6 Attesting that you received and completed all necessary AIDS Training.
  6. You will then sign and date the final section which is your attestation that all information is true and accurate.
  7. Complete Part I of the out of state credentialing form. Once you have completed Part I, you need to mail the form to your former states registry. They will complete Part II of the form and mail it directly back to the Washington State Department of Health.
  8. Mail your application and processing fee to: Department of Health- P.O. Box 1099- Olympia, WA 98507-1099.

Renewing CNA Certification in Washington

You will find that you must renew your certification every twenty-four months when you are a certified nursing assistant. You will be sent a renewal notice a few months in advance of the expiration of your certification. Follow all the instructions on the form. You are also able to renew your certification online at: Remember if you are renewing your certification online you must do it at least 60 days before the expiration date.

If you have let your license lapse, you will need to contact the Department of Health to determine the steps you will need to take if you want to become a certified nursing assistant in the state of Washington once again.

Also check out: Free CNA training in Washington and Accredited NA classes in Washington


11 Responses to CNA Certification in Washington

  1. Michele Vasquez August 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

    I am currently a nursing student in my last semester and would like to get my CNA license back. What do I have to do? I have not worked as a CNA for the last two years and did not renew my license in September 2009 because I was entering nursing school.

    • Admin January 22, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

      You will need to contact the DOH Nurse Aide department and explain your situation. Most likely, you will need to retake the test only.

  2. lorena January 11, 2012 at 11:47 am #

    i would like to know were i would be able to get free cna classes and numbers of people i would need to get ahold of.

  3. janice March 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

    I am a graduate of a nursing program in the Philippines. I am a bachelor of science in nursing degree holder, and I live currently here in Wa. Where do I get information on how to get started on the process towards getting CNA license? Would my education level of achievement be enough to challenge the exam?

    • Admin March 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

      You will need to get in touch with the CNA registry in Washington for them to evaluate your Out of country certification.

  4. Katie August 1, 2012 at 4:06 am #

    My mother and I currently live in Arizona. She’s a cna and we want to move to washington. Would she need to get relicensed? Who could I contact for more info?

  5. shiloh August 1, 2012 at 5:13 am #

    is it possible to get a CNA certification online?

  6. shiloh August 1, 2012 at 5:20 am #

    and if so which site is best?

  7. Nobu February 21, 2013 at 1:44 am #

    How old do you have to be in the state of Washington to be a CNA?

  8. Kristen April 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

    I just completed a CNA class, but am not sure what forms I need to send in. I mailed an application to Pearsonvue to take the certification test. Do I also need to mail in an application for WA registry, and one for WA endorsement?

  9. Jaquelyn January 16, 2014 at 6:06 am #


    My CNA expired back in 2010 I do believe. I would like to renew it but I took my testing for it in Iowa and I want to renew it in Washington. Will I have any difficulty doing this? Where should I start to begin this process?


Leave a Reply