A career as a certified nursing assistant is one in which you will help patients with grooming, bathing, eating, walking and other activities of daily living. You will help monitor vital signs and pertinent patient information. You will need to find a training program that has been approved by Alabama as well as pass the state certified examination to become a CNA. Most training programs are a few hundred dollars and so you might want to look for free training options. We’ve listed a few free training opportunities in Alabama below.
1) Employer: The most common way to receive free cna training is to train through an employer. Most nursing care facilities and healthcare providers have a large demand for qualified nursing assistants. Due to this fact, they will hire individuals who they can train to work as CNAs and pay for all the training. If you use this method to receive training, you will be required to work for that same employer for an agreed upon amount of time.
2) Reimbursement: If you already paid for your cna training, it is sometimes possible to get your money back. Most long-term care facilities will be required to reimburse you for the fees associated with your CNA training. This is usually true as long as you gain your employment opportunity within one year of receiving your nursing assistant certification. For this reason, it is important to keep your receipts for tuition and other training related expenses.
3) Armed Forces: You might be able to receive tuition assistance if you served in the armed forces. It is often possible to receive help with tuition for training programs even those that are non-degree if you have military benefits. You can use these benefits to start a new career when you are out of the military. Free cna training will give you a good start in a new career after serving your country.
Direct Free Training Options
Sylacauga Health and Rehab
1007 W Fort Williams St, Sylacauga, AL 35150, Phone: +1 256-245-7402
This is a trainee position at a nursing home facility in Sylacauga. While the training isn’t necessarily free, you do get a job on the premise that you will get certified within 120 days. This is quite a risk free situation since you will be getting paid while you train. If you’re low on funds and are looking for a career in nursing this position might be good for you. The facility is located in close proximity to Coosa Valley Medical Center should physicians or other medical services be necessary. Our verdict: Good opportunity!
The University of West Alabama – Livingston
Livingston, Alabama 35470 • Toll Free (800) 621-8044
They have a training program that has been created to improve job prospects of people who depend on welfare in the state of Alabama by training eople to become nurse aides. This program is little known but has trained a lot of graduates who have gone on to get satisfactory careers as CNA’s. The funding for this initiative is federal and comes as part of the WIA. (more details click here) They have a limit of roughly 50 students every year so it helps to apply quickly to retain a chance of qualifying. There are of course a few qualification requirements such as low income and welfare dependency.
Low Cost CNA Training Options in Alabama
1515 University Boulevard South, Mobile, AL 36609. Call 343-9600 for more info.
A very short course that sets you up to take the state exam. Tuition is just $320 so while it isn’t free, its as close as you’ll get. The state test is offered at the same center so you’ll be familiar with the location before you do the test. (a very high percentage of people taking the state test fail because they become nervous). once you’ve passed the exam, you can also get your continuing education from the same provider.
Wallace Community College
Wallace Campus, 1141 Wallace Drive, Dothan, AL 36303,
Call (334) 556-2203 to register for classes in Dothan or (334) 556-2414 to register for classes in Eufaula.
They have a 25 day program. The cost is just $725 which is slightly higher than the above but much lower than the sub $1k that other centers charge. Since they are affiliated with the WIA you might qualify to have your fees paid for by the state. The schooling meets requirements for CNA training from both state and federal regulators.
100 London Pkwy-Birmingham, AL 35211
Fortis Institute Alabama offers a nursing assistant training program. This program is designed to prepare students to work in various types of medical care settings. Students will have the background they need to be able to work day or night with patients who are in acute or long-term health care situations. The school provides an outstanding learning environment by having lectures led by well qualified staff members. The same is true of the hands on and simulated lab settings. Men and women in the CNA program can also benefit from knowing that the clinical portion of the exam will take place at quality healthcare settings in and near Birmingham.
Past and present students commend Fortis Institute in Alabama for caring so much about their students. Some individuals even remark on how much they feel like the school even cares about the family of the students. They truly want people to be successful so that their entire family can benefit from their success. The school is not just looking to make money and not just seeing it as a business. They work hard to be like a family to their students so that they have the mentorship and encouragement they need to do well in their training as a certified nursing assistant and then to pass all requirements to become fully certified. Students notice pretty early on that the instructors for their nursing assistant courses are people who are leaders in the nursing and related medical fields . They are learning from individuals who have worked on ‘the front lines’ with patients in various situations. The teachers really know what they are talking about because they have worked in the healthcare industry.
Fortis Institute in Alabama is known for having good leadership. The instructors and the advisors and everyone in between, really care about the students. They have a vision of a brighter future for anyone who comes through their door. Their nursing assistant program is no exception. They help students to begin a stepping stone healthcare field where they can earn a decent income and gain some valuable experience. More than one student mentioned that when the time came that they wanted to move up from being a nursing assistant, they returned To Fortis to train for another healthcare related field. Their experience at the school was that good that they didn’t even give any or much thought to further their education at another school.
Nursing Related Scholarships in Alabama
Alabama Nursing Home Association Education Foundation – LPN Scholarship Program
A very popular scholarship in Alabama. If you’re serious about a career in nursing and had earmarked becoming a CNA as your stepping stone, this scholarship will give you a boost to a much better career. Look it up and see if you qualify for it.
American Cancer Society – Cancer Survivor Scholarship
The American Cancer Society is awarding $1000 scholarships to young cancer survivors who show leadership, academic achievement and have volunteered in the community. This opportunity is also not limited to nursing. it can be applied to a range of other vocational/tech careers.
Institutions That Can Help You Get Free Training
1) Workforce Investment Act Program
401 Adams Avenue, P.O. Box 5690, Montgomery, AL 36103
2) Gadsden Job Corps Center
600 Valley Street, P O Box 286, Gadsden, AL 35902
Nursing homes in Alabama that might offer CNA training At No Cost
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. It is however common for nursing homes to employ you and then pay for your training at another facility.
- Beverly Healthcare – Lanett – 702 South 13th Street Lanett, Alabama 36863 Phone: (334) 644-1111
- Bibb Med Center Hospital & Nh – 208 Pierson Ave Centreville, Alabama 35042 Phone: (205) 926-3308
- Big Springs Specialty Care Ctr – 500 St. Clair Avenue Southwest Huntsville, Alabama 35801 Phone: (256) 539-5111
- Birmingham Nursing And Rehabilitation – 1000 Dugan Avenue Birmingham, Alabama 35214 Phone: (205) 798-8780
- Brown Nursing Home – 2334 Washington Street Alexander City, Alabama 35010 Phone: (256) 329-9061
- Burns Nursing Home, Inc – 701 Monroe Street Nw Russellville, Alabama 35653 Phone: (256) 332-4110
- Greenbriar At The Altamont – 2831 Highland Avenue South Birmingham, Alabama 35205 Phone: (205) 323-2724
- Greene County Nursing Home – 509 Wilson Ave Eutaw, Alabama 35462 Phone: (205) 372-4545
- Haleyville Health Care Center – 2201 11th Avenue Haleyville, Alabama 35565 Phone: (205) 486-9478
- Hanceville Nursing Home – 420 Main Street Ne Hanceville, Alabama 35077 Phone: (256) 352-6481
- Hanover Health And Rehabilitation – 39 Hanover Circle Birmingham, Alabama 35205 Phone: (205) 933-1828
- Hartford Health Care – 217 Toro Road Hartford, Alabama 36344 Phone: (334) 588-3842
- Hatley Health Care Inc – 300 Medical Center Drive Clanton, Alabama 35045 Phone: (205) 755-4960
- Lighthouse Convalescent Home – 2911 Earl Goodwin Parkway Selma, Alabama 36703 Phone: (334) 875-1868
- Limestone Health Facility – 1600 West Hobbs Street Athens, Alabama 35611 Phone: (256) 278-4549
- Lineville Health And Rehabilitation – 88073 Highway 9 Lineville, Alabama 36266 Phone: (256) 396-2104
- Little Sisters Of The Poor – 1655 Mcgill Avenue Mobile, Alabama 36604 Phone: (251) 476-6335
- Luverne Health And Rehabilitation – 142 West Third Street Luverne, Alabama 36049 Phone: (334) 335-5331
- Lynwood Nursing Home – 4164 Halls Mill Road Mobile, Alabama 36693 Phone: (251) 661-5404
- Madison Manor Nursing Home – 3891 Sullivan St Madison, Alabama 35758 Phone: (256) 772-9243
- Magnolia Haven Nursing Home – 603 Wright Street Tuskegee, Alabama 36083 Phone: (334) 727-4960
- Salem Nursing & Rehab Ctr Of T – P O Drawer 830599 Tuskegee, Alabama 36083 Phone: (334) 727-1945
- Sea Breeze Health Care Center – 550 Congress Street Mobile, Alabama 36603 Phone: (251) 433-5471
- Self Nursing Home Inc – 131 East Crest Road Bessemer, Alabama 35023 Phone: (205) 491-2411
- Shadescrest Health Care Center – 2600 Old Parrish Highway Jasper, Alabama 35501 Phone: (205) 384-9086
- Shelby Ridge – 881 3rd Street Northeast Alabaster, Alabama 35007 Phone: (205) 620-8500
- South Hampton Nursing And Rehab – 213 Wilson Mann Road Owens Cross Roads, Alabama 35763 Phone: (256) 725-3400
- South Haven Health & Rehab Ctr – 1300 East South Boulevard Montgomery, Alabama 36116 Phone: (334) 288-0122
Free CNA Classes FAQ
Is it possible to get free CNA classes in New York?
Can I get more information on free CNA classes in Washington?
Is there any place to get free CNA training in Houston?