A career as a certified nursing assistant is one in which you will help patients with grooming, bathing, eating, walking and other activities of daily living. You will help monitor vital signs and pertinent patient information. You will need to find a training program that has been approved by Alabama as well as pass the state certified examination to become a CNA. Most training programs are a few hundred dollars and so you might want to look for free training options. We’ve listed a few free training opportunities in Alabama below.
1) Employer: The most common way to receive free cna training is to train through an employer. Most nursing care facilities and healthcare providers have a large demand for qualified nursing assistants. Due to this fact, they will hire individuals who they can train to work as CNAs and pay for all the training. If you use this method to receive training, you will be required to work for that same employer for an agreed upon amount of time.
2) Reimbursement: If you already paid for your cna training, it is sometimes possible to get your money back. Most long-term care facilities will be required to reimburse you for the fees associated with your CNA training. This is usually true as long as you gain your employment opportunity within one year of receiving your nursing assistant certification. For this reason, it is important to keep your receipts for tuition and other training related expenses.
3) Armed Forces: You might be able to receive tuition assistance if you served in the armed forces. It is often possible to receive help with tuition for training programs even those that are non-degree if you have military benefits. You can use these benefits to start a new career when you are out of the military. Free cna training will give you a good start in a new career after serving your country.
Nursing Related Scholarships in Alabama
Wallace Community College – Allied Health and Nursing Scholarships
Wallace Community College has Allied Health and Nursing scholarships available for students pursuing a career in healthcare. The scholarships are based on academic achievement, and students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0. Make sure and submit a completed application and all requested documents by the deadline date.
Alabama Nursing Home Association Education Foundation – LPN Scholarship Program
The Alabama Nursing Home Association Education Foundation and the Alabama Community College System have partnered in order to provide scholarships to students pursing a career as an LPN. Each year, two scholarships are awarded from every two-year college offering the LPN program. The awarded amount is $500 per semester for a total of $1000, which can be used for books, uniforms and other school-related expenses. In order to qualify, the applicant must:
- Be an Alabama resident
- Have completed one semester of the LPN program
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Demonstrate financial need
- Perform part of the clinical rotation at a long-term care facility
American Cancer Society – Cancer Survivor Scholarship
The American Cancer Society is awarding $1000 scholarships to young cancer survivors who show leadership, academic achievement and have volunteered in the community. In order to qualify for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be under 25 years old
- Have had a diagnosis of cancer before age 21
- Be a Mid-South resident
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Have been accepted to an accredited school
- Demonstrate financial need
Institutions That Can Help You Get Free Training
1) Workforce Investment Act Program
401 Adams Avenue, P.O. Box 5690, Montgomery, AL 36103
The Workforce Investment Act Program provides career training opportunities for qualifying men and women in the state of Alabama. There are skills training programs for at risk youth through the WIA as well. The adult program primarily serves individuals who have become unemployed through no direct action of their own-typically as a result of layoffs and downsizing.
2) Gadsden Job Corps Center
600 Valley Street, P O Box 286, Gadsden, AL 35902
Qualifying individuals who are between the ages of 16 and 24 can benefit from career training opportunities and a range of other benefits. Other Job Corp locations can be found in Alabama as well.
Nursing homes in Alabama that might offer CNA training At No Cost
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. It is however common for nursing homes to employ you and then pay for your training at another facility.
- Beverly Healthcare – Lanett – 702 South 13th Street Lanett, Alabama 36863 Phone: (334) 644-1111
- Bibb Med Center Hospital & Nh – 208 Pierson Ave Centreville, Alabama 35042 Phone: (205) 926-3308
- Big Springs Specialty Care Ctr – 500 St. Clair Avenue Southwest Huntsville, Alabama 35801 Phone: (256) 539-5111
- Birmingham Nursing And Rehabilitation – 1000 Dugan Avenue Birmingham, Alabama 35214 Phone: (205) 798-8780
- Brown Nursing Home – 2334 Washington Street Alexander City, Alabama 35010 Phone: (256) 329-9061
- Burns Nursing Home, Inc – 701 Monroe Street Nw Russellville, Alabama 35653 Phone: (256) 332-4110
- Greenbriar At The Altamont – 2831 Highland Avenue South Birmingham, Alabama 35205 Phone: (205) 323-2724
- Greene County Nursing Home – 509 Wilson Ave Eutaw, Alabama 35462 Phone: (205) 372-4545
- Haleyville Health Care Center – 2201 11th Avenue Haleyville, Alabama 35565 Phone: (205) 486-9478
- Hanceville Nursing Home – 420 Main Street Ne Hanceville, Alabama 35077 Phone: (256) 352-6481
- Hanover Health And Rehabilitation – 39 Hanover Circle Birmingham, Alabama 35205 Phone: (205) 933-1828
- Hartford Health Care – 217 Toro Road Hartford, Alabama 36344 Phone: (334) 588-3842
- Hatley Health Care Inc – 300 Medical Center Drive Clanton, Alabama 35045 Phone: (205) 755-4960
- Lighthouse Convalescent Home – 2911 Earl Goodwin Parkway Selma, Alabama 36703 Phone: (334) 875-1868
- Limestone Health Facility – 1600 West Hobbs Street Athens, Alabama 35611 Phone: (256) 278-4549
- Lineville Health And Rehabilitation – 88073 Highway 9 Lineville, Alabama 36266 Phone: (256) 396-2104
- Little Sisters Of The Poor – 1655 Mcgill Avenue Mobile, Alabama 36604 Phone: (251) 476-6335
- Luverne Health And Rehabilitation – 142 West Third Street Luverne, Alabama 36049 Phone: (334) 335-5331
- Lynwood Nursing Home – 4164 Halls Mill Road Mobile, Alabama 36693 Phone: (251) 661-5404
- Madison Manor Nursing Home – 3891 Sullivan St Madison, Alabama 35758 Phone: (256) 772-9243
- Magnolia Haven Nursing Home – 603 Wright Street Tuskegee, Alabama 36083 Phone: (334) 727-4960
- Salem Nursing & Rehab Ctr Of T – P O Drawer 830599 Tuskegee, Alabama 36083 Phone: (334) 727-1945
- Sea Breeze Health Care Center – 550 Congress Street Mobile, Alabama 36603 Phone: (251) 433-5471
- Self Nursing Home Inc – 131 East Crest Road Bessemer, Alabama 35023 Phone: (205) 491-2411
- Shadescrest Health Care Center – 2600 Old Parrish Highway Jasper, Alabama 35501 Phone: (205) 384-9086
- Shelby Ridge – 881 3rd Street Northeast Alabaster, Alabama 35007 Phone: (205) 620-8500
- South Hampton Nursing And Rehab – 213 Wilson Mann Road Owens Cross Roads, Alabama 35763 Phone: (256) 725-3400
- South Haven Health & Rehab Ctr – 1300 East South Boulevard Montgomery, Alabama 36116 Phone: (334) 288-0122
Free CNA Classes FAQ
Is it possible to get free CNA classes in New York?
Can I get more information on free CNA classes in Washington?
Is there any place to get free CNA training in Houston?