If you are searching for a job that can serve as a stepping stone for a career in the healthcare industry, you might be considering employment as a certified nursing assistant. Alaska has a shortage of nursing assistants and as such will pay CNAs well and provide good benefits. In order to become a CNA, you will need to enroll a state approved training program with a minimum of 140 hours of instruction. It will then be necessary to complete and pass the certification exam. We’ve listed a few CNA training opportunities below.
1) Alaska Job Corps: Contact a local office of the Alaska Job Corps if you are interested in training to become a CNA. You might be able to receive tuition assistance if you are currently unemployed or receiving government benefits. The Job Corps is a good starting point when you are looking for ways to access assistance in covering the cost of nursing assistant training.
2) Employers will often provide individuals with nursing assistant training as long as the individuals sign a contract agreeing to work for that facility for a set amount of time. Nursing care facilities and even some hospitals are most commonly known for providing employer-sponsored training programs. You should search for Medicare or Medicaid certified healthcare providers in your area to determine if any offer nursing assistant training.
3) Community Colleges: It is very common to find certified nursing assistant training at community colleges, technical schools and other universities in Alaska. Some of these programs will offer you college credits for completion of the training course. These programs will last a little longer than some of the others. If you are interested in a CNA training program at a College, you should contact the financial aid department to determine if you can apply for financial aid or scholarships. It is sometimes possible to receive free CNA training by obtaining enough grants and scholarships.
Direct Free CNA Training Options (Via On The Job Training)
Home Instead Senior Care
440 W. Benson Blvd., Ste. 100, Anchorage, AK 99503 Phone: 907-277-4663
Home Instead has several locations throughout the United States that provide in home caregiver services. We know you’re looking for information on CNA training but this facility has a trainee position for caregivers. This is pretty much halfway to a CNA. You get trained in the basic non medical skills and are given a job. If you’re serious about becoming a CNA, this facility will help you get started and you can easily save up to take a proper nurse aide course in the future. You will help provide companionship and assist with activities of daily living to people you will be assigned to.
ResCare (Caregiver Trainee)
Dillingham, AK 99576, Phone: +1 907-842-1466
Similar to the above opportunity, this is also an in home care provider. The only real job requirement is that yu should be open to providing these kind of jobs. Either way, if you’re interested in becoming a nurse assistant, you will do everything a caregiver does together with a bit of medical tasks such as taking pressure. This is a good opportunity to see if you have what it takes to be a CNA. Again, this is a no cost opportunity so there’s nothing to lose. Call them using the number above and ask for HR. ResCare has facilities in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Homer, Nome, Soldotna and Wasilla as well.
Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation (DCP Trainee Position)
900 Chief Eddie Hoffman Hwy, Bethel, AK 99559, Phone:+1 907-543-6000
This is a slightly more advanced position than a normal caregiver. The facility caters to people with disabilities. You don’t need to be certified for this job however they claim they will provide first aid and CPR training if you don’t possess it already. Again, a good opportunity if you’re looking to be a CNA but don’t have the training. This job pays almost the same and the work is close enough.
Institutions That Can Help
Juneau Office:, 210 Ferry Way, Juneau, AK 99801
Depending on your circumstances with regard to income, you might qualify to get retraining funds as part of JOBX. You will need to go in for an interview and discuss it with the resident counselor at the facility in Juneau. Best of luck!
Mature Alaskans Seeking Job Skills Training
Adult Learning Programs of Alaska, 60 Hall Street. Fairbanks, Alaska 99701
Nursing homes in Alaska that might offer free CNA training
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. It is however common for nursing homes to employ you and then pay for your training at another facility.
- Quyanna Care Center – P.O. Box 966 Nome, Alaska 99762 Phone: (907) 443-3311
- Sitka Community Hospital-Ltc – 209 Moller Avenue Sitka, Alaska 99835 Phone: (907) 747-1701
- South Peninsula Hospital Ltc – 4300 Bartlett Street Homer, Alaska 99603 Phone: (907) 235-0345
- Wildflower Court – 2000 Salmon Creek Lane Juneau, Alaska 99801 Phone: (907) 463-8700
- Wrangell Medical Center Ltc – P.O. Box 1081 Wrangell, Alaska 99929 Phone: (907) 874-7000
- Cordova Community Med Ltc – P.O. Box 160 Cordova, Alaska 99574 Phone: (907) 424-8000
- Denali Center – 1510 19th Avenue Fairbanks, Alaska 99701 Phone: (907) 458-5100
- Heritage Place – 232 Rockwell Avenue Soldotna, Alaska 99669 Phone: (907) 262-2545
- Ketchikan General Hosp Ltc – 3100 Tongass Avenue Ketchikan, Alaska 99901 Phone: (907) 225-5171
- 10. Mary Conrad Center – 9100 Centennial Drive Anchorage, Alaska 99504 Phone: (907) 333-8100
- 11. Petersburg Medical Center Ltc – P.O. Box 589 Petersburg, Alaska 99833 Phone: (907) 772-4291
Free CNA training Questions
I need help in finding a free CNA class in Chicago, Illinois. Can you help?