If you wish to become a CNA in Maine, you will find that the state requires more extensive training than most other states. All state approved CNA courses must cover 180 hours of instruction with 90 hours of theory and 70 hours in a clinical setting (the remaining hours are spent on lab studies). Most training courses for certified nursing assistants cost at least $450. We’ve compiled a few legitimate free training opportunities below:
1) The Maine Medical Center offers free training for individuals accepted into the program. There is testing and an interview process to select applicants. The goal of this program is to provide career training opportunities for individuals who cannot afford training on their own. Some graduates of the program will be hired to work at Maine Medical Center, while others will find employment at other healthcare facilities. For more information visit the Maine Medical Centre Website
2) Most healthcare providers in Maine will reimburse individuals for the cost of their CNA training upon being hired. (As long as the individuals received certification one year ago or less). If you receive reimbursement for your training in full, you have obtained cna training though you made the initial investment out of your own pocket.
3) Your Current Employer: If you are working in a healthcare facility and decide you want to further your education to work in an entry-level healthcare position, you might want to consider CNA training. Express your interest in the new career to your employer. Good quality nursing assistants are typically in high demand. Your employer might pay for you to receive your training as long as you continue to work for the facility as a nursing assistant upon certification.
Direct Free Training Opportunities
1) The Broadwater Health Center mention on their website that they will train you to fill their CNA vacancy if you have the passion to care for the elderly. It is worth contacting them to see if they have any active vacancies at the moment and if they will train you for the position. More details can be found on their website at http://broadwaterhealthcenter.com/EmploymentOpportunities.aspx
Institutions That Can Be Of Assistance
1) Southern Maine Community College
2 Fort Road, South Portland, Maine 04106
The Southern Maine Community College takes part in Workforce Investment Act and Training Programs. They are one of the approved training providers for displaced workers and other individuals qualifying for WIA financial assistance. They also take part in programs helping employers to better train future and present employees to create a better workforce for all. There are other colleges within the state participating in these programs as well.
2) Women Unlimited
79 Leighton Road, Suite 5, Second Floor, Augusta, ME 04330
The Women Unlimited Program in Maine helps to connect women with Job Training Opportunities. Many of the jobs are in partnership with the Department of Transportation for Maine. Women who are part of the Women Unlimited Job Bank can apply for on the job training options through various employers. Individuals will learn skills that will help them to develop a career filled with opportunities.
3) Competitive Skills Scholarship
Bureau of Employment Services, 55 State House Station, Augusta, Maine. Phone: 04333-0055
This scholarship is for individuals who meet the program’s specified low income. Men and women who apply must not already have a post high school degree for a high demand and high pay job. They must be looking to complete training or a degree that would allow them to then earn a high income. The scholarship can only be used to train for careers that are within a good demand in the state.
4) Maine Career Centers
One College Drive, Calais, ME 04619-0415
Maine Career Centers are an excellent source for men and women looking for job training. The Career Centers are able to serve those who are unemployed, as well as many individuals who are underemployed and even many displaced homemakers. They connect individuals with training opportunities including the Workforce Investment Act tuition assistance programs and other grant opportunities. Individuals must visit a local Career Center such as the one in Calais to access services.
Nursing homes in Maine that might offer free Training Classes
Note: The following is a list of popular nursing homes in Indiana. They don’t provide free training, but they are a good starting point if you’re looking for nursing homes that may have active vacancies and are willing to hire NA trainees.
- Birch Grove Rehab & Living Ctr – 18 Leighton St Pittsfield, Maine 04967
- Borderview Rehab & Living Ctr – 90 State St Van Buren, Maine 04785
- Brentwood Rehab & Nursing Ctr – 370 Portland St Yarmouth, Maine 04096
- Brewer Rehab And Living – 74 Parkway South Brewer, Maine 04412
- Colonial Health Care – Workman Terrace Lincoln, Maine 04457
- Country Manor Nursing Home – 132 Main Street Coopers Mills, Maine 04341
- Courtland Rehab & Living Ctr – 42 Bucksport Rd Ellsworth, Maine 04605
- Evergreen Manor – 328 North St Saco, Maine 04072
- Falmouth By The Sea – 191 Foreside Rd Falmouth, Maine 04105
- Fieldcrest Manor – 126 Depot St Waldoboro, Maine 04572
- Forest Hill Manor – 25 Bolduc Ave Fort Kent, Maine 04743
- Freeport Nursing & Rehab Ctr – 3 East St Freeport, Maine 04032
- Fryeburg Health Care Center – 77 Fairview Dr Fryeburg, Maine 04037
- Gardiner Health Care Facility – 8 Holland St Houlton, Maine 04730
- Gorham House – 50 New Portland Rd Gorham, Maine 04038
- Maplecrest Rehab & Living Ctr – 174 Main St Madison, Maine 04950
- Market Square Health Care Ctr – 3 Market Square South Paris, Maine 04281
- Marshall Health Care And Rehab – High Street Ext B Machias, Maine 04654
- Marshwood Ctr For Healthcare – 33 Roger Street Lewiston, Maine 04240
- Presque Isle Nursing Home – 162 Academy St Presque Isle, Maine 04769
- Riverridge – 79 Cat Mousam Rd Kennebunk, Maine 04043
- Robinsons Health Care Facility – 284 Brunswick Avenue Gardiner, Maine 04345
- Ross Manor – 758 Broadway Bangor, Maine 04401
- Rumford Community Home – Sunnyside Terrace Rumford, Maine 04276
Other state listings: