You must complete at least 100 hours of training in a state approved program in Maryland if you wish to work as a certified nursing assistant. You will also need to pass the certification exam. There are many ways to receive free cna training when living in Maryland.
1)Nursing Homes: Check with various types of nursing care facilities in your local area in order to find training programs. Many nursing care providers offer cna training. It is even possible to find free CNA training at many of these places. Nursing assistants tend to be in high demand which results in employers wanting well trained CNAs and therefore being willing to hire individuals and train them for no cost. You can get more info on how this works by reading our article on Free Training From Nursing Homes
2) Caroline Center: Another option for low cost cna training in Maryland is for women who want to train to enter into the healthcare field and do not necessarily have the money to invest in their training. The Caroline Center offers a nursing assistant training program for individuals who are accepted into the program. Of course, this program is fully approved by the state of Maryland. Their contact details are as follows: 900 Somerset Street, Baltimore, MD 21202 Phone: 410-563-1303
3) Colleges: You will also find cna training programs available at colleges and in continuing education programs. Sometimes the programs offer several credits to students upon completion. “For credit” courses often qualify for scholarships and grants. You can apply for financial aid if you are considering one of these programs. Depending on the amount of your grant or scholarship, you can receive your full cna training at almost no charge to you.
4) Other Scholarships and Grants: Some private CNA training providers also offer scholarships and grants. You should inquire with any programs of interest to determine if there are any financial programs for which you can apply. Again, your training will end up being free if you receive enough grants or scholarships.
5) WIA Via One Stop Career Centers
There are over 30 centers located in the state of Maryland, with 4 in the main city of Baltimore. These centers help evaluate your current financial status and see if you are eligible for training as part of the WIA Act (more info here). They help you get the grant from the federal government and use it to pay for your training at any of the recognized community colleges in Maryland. To see if there is a center near you please visit: http://goo.gl/ijTRB
Direct Free Training Opportunities
1) Peninsula Regional Medical Center (May 2012)
In Partnership with the Wor Wic community College, they have a training program for selected applicants. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. To get into this program you will need to get in touch with them and pass an application process. Usually these type of programs look for dedicated and passionate people who will turn out to be long term employees. The application or interview might ask questions like “Why would you want to become a CNA?” or “What you wish to achieve after attaining your certification as a CNA:”. be prepared for those kinds of questions. They will expect you to work for them after completing the program. They are located at Salisbury, MD, 21801. More details are available at: http://jobs.climber.com/jobs/Drugs-Pharmaceuticals/Salisbury-MD-21801-USA/CNA-Trainee/22826441
2) Job Corps
If you’re under the age of 24, you can get trained via the Job Corps. Read our article on how this works by clicking here
Centers are located in :
Woodland – 3300 Fort Mead Road, Laurel, MD 20724
Tel: (301) 362-6000
Woodstock – 10900 Old Court Road, Woodstock, MD 21163
Tel: (410) 461-1100
Institutions That Can Be Of Assistance
1) Maryland Green Job Training
This job training opportunity is for individuals who qualify to receive job seeker services in Maryland. Individuals of varying experiences levels can be accepted. The job training is for a variety of types of jobs related to the Green Job Industry. Those who are accepted to receive training will obtain any necessary hands on and instructional training without needing to pay for training on their own.
2) Harford Community College
401 Thomas Run Rd, Bel Air, MD – 21015
The Harford Community College provides opportunities for adults of any age to pursue a higher education and to achieve their career goals. They also reach out to those who need to be educated or trained for a new career after finding that they are out of work for reasons beyond their control. The Harford Community College takes part in the Workforce Investment Act Program administered in Maryland, allowing many unemployed workers to receive some training for a new career at no cost.
3) Community College of Baltimore County
7201 Rossville Blvd, Baltimore, MD – 21237
WIA sponsored colleges are those colleges that have programs that have been approved by the WIA. These programs allow a select number of unemployed individuals to attend classes or attend specific training programs for free. Students can gain the skills and knowledge they need to begin a new career. Such training can be obtained through various approved programs at the community College of Baltimore County.
Nursing homes that might offer Free CNA Training in exchange for work
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. It is however common for nursing homes to employ you and then pay for your training at another facility.
- Caton Manor – 3330 Wilkens Avenue Baltimore, Maryland 21229
- Catonsville Commons – 16 Fusting Avenue Catonsville, Maryland 21228
- Charles Co. Nsg & Rehab Ctr – 10200 Laplata Road Laplata, Maryland 20646
- Charles E. Smith Life Communities – 6121 Montrose Road Rockville, Maryland 20852
- Citizens Nsg Home Of Frederick – 1900 Rosemont Avenue Frederick, Maryland 21701
- Clearview Nursing Home – 9946 Downsville Pike Hagerstown, Maryland 21740
- Clinton Nursing & Rehab – 9211 Stuart Lane Clinton, Maryland 20735
- College View Center – 700 Toll House Avenue Frederick, Maryland 21701
- Collingswood Nursing & Rehabilitation Center – 299 Hurley Avenue Rockville, Maryland 20850
- Ginger Cove – 4000 River Crescent Drive Annapolis, Maryland 21401
- Glade Valley Nursing & Rehab – 56 West Frederick Street Walkersville, Maryland 21793
- Gladys Spellman Spec. Hosp. – 2900 Mercy Lane Cheverly, Maryland 20785
- Glen Meadows Retirement Com. – 11630 Glen Arm Road Glen Arm, Maryland 21057
- Golden Age Guest Home – 1442 Buckhorn Road Sykesville, Maryland 21784
- Good Samaritan Hospital – 5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore, Maryland 21239
- Larkin Chase – 15005 Health Center Drive Bowie, Maryland 20716
- Laurelwood Care Center At Elkton – 100 Laurel Drive Elkton, Maryland 21921
- Maplewood Park Place – 9707 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda, Maryland 20814
In Maryland, you can also get assistance as a result of the Workforce Investment Act. Make sure you contact your local social services office who will be able to assist you in this regard.