You will need to attend a state approved training program if you want to be eligible to sit for the training exam and start a new career as a certified nursing assistant in Pennsylvania. Although, training programs usually only cost a few hundred dollars, you might very well be in need of finding free CNA training options. Fortunately, there are some free training options for you in Pennsylvania:
1) Apply for employment with a long-term care facility
These facilities will often hire individuals who are not yet certified and then provide the nursing assistant training. If they do so, the employer must pay for the cost of both your training and exam. You can also receive reimbursement for your training if you are hired by a long-term care facility in a year or less after receiving certification.
2) Welfare Office
Contact the welfare office in your local community if you are low-income or unemployed and searching for nursing assistant training. They can direct you to any programs for which you might qualify that would pay for your nursing assistant training. You can also contact unemployment agencies in your local area for details on training programs that might be available to you to receive no cost training.
3) Armed Forces
If you serve or have served in the Armed Forces, you might qualify for no cost training. Some training programs qualify individuals for tuition assistance from military benefits. Contact local training programs in your area to determine if you might be able to receive financial assistance through your military benefits. You will receive training if you receive enough assistance to cover the entire cost of tuition.
Currently Available Free Training Opportunities
1) West Haven Manor – Apollo, PA
Get paid while you are trained. Perfect if you’re in Apollo or nearby. You must apply personally and be able to drive there for testing and training. Location is: West Haven Manor, 151 Goodview Drive, Apollo, PA 15613. Apply as soon as possible as places may fill up quickly.
2) Windy Hill Village
100 Dogwood Dr, Philipsburg, PA 16866, United States Phone: (814) 342-8400
Another Paid training program where you get on the job training while receiving a wage. They have a trainee position for which you need to apply on their website over at http://goo.gl/3c14h
The position is available in Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
3) Redstone Highlands
100 Dogwood Dr, Philipsburg, PA 16866, United States
They have a weekday training program for potential nursing assistants. Basically, they interview you to see if you will fit within their centers. (they have centers in Greensburg, Murrysville and North Huntingdon) if you show enough passion and commitment you will get hired into a trainee position. This will begin on 8/20/2012. You will be trained for 5 weeks after which if you have done well you will qualify to work in one of their facilities. For more info please visit or call (814) 342-8400
4) Holy Redeemer Lafayette
CNA Training offered at various timed during the year. They currently have a waiting list so your best bet is to apply early and hope get in on the next batch of training. While the training is at no cost, there is no guarantee that they will hire you. You will not be a trainee at their facility at any point. A GED is not a requirement but is preferred. You will also undergo the usual vaccinations and background check before being accepted into the program. Their next batch starts a couple of months before Christmas this year. You can find more details by visiting/calling their facility at 8580 Verree Road Philadelphia, PA 19111 Phone: (215) 214-2800
5) Holy Redeemer St. Joseph Manor
Same details as above. Their address is 1616 Huntingdon Pike, Meadowbrook, PA 19046 Phone: 215-938-4000
6) Sugarcreek Station Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
They are offering a NA trainee position at the moment. You get paid a salary of $7.50 if you get in. The classes start in June 2012 and are subject to an approval process. There is also a set of terms and condition to getting the paid CNA training that you will need to abide by. They are located in Franklin, PA. Their address is 351 Causeway Dr. Franklin, PA 16323 Phone: 814-437-0100
7) Baptist Homes in Mt Lebanon
They are offering a once in a lifetime opportunity for people who want to become certified nursing assistants. if you meet the eligibility requirements of having a GED and passing a background check/drug screening, you might be one of 10 people who get paid $9 while they are being trained and $10 an hour after passing the CNA exam. The classes start in March 2012 and applications are currently open. Their contact details are as follows:
Address: 489 Castle Shannon Boulevard Pittsburgh, PA 15234
8) CNA classes from St Annes Home in Greensburg
685 Angela Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601
St Annes home have an earn while you learn program. You must commit to working for them for a fixed period after getting certified. The only catch is that there’s only 12 positions available. Get more info by Phone: (724) 837-6070
(thank you to Arnold Maendel for letting us know about this opportunity)
9) Training as a CareGiver
SeniorHelpers offers a career opportunity to people who would like to work with seniors. If you’re compassionate enough and feel like helping people and making a difference is something you’d like to do, SeniorHelpers has the perfect position for you. One of the benefits of the caregiver position is the access to paid training. Find out more by Phone: 800-760-6389 (Make sure you ask for the caregiver position)
10) Wexford Healthcare Center
9850 Old Perry Hwy, Wexford, PA 15090
A fantastic nursing home located in Pittsburgh. At present, they have a free training class available due to an acute need for certified nursing assistants. If you’re in this city, this is a brilliant opportunity. The only minimum requirement is that you possess a high school diploma/GED. Note that you might need to agree to work there to get the classes for free.
11) Baldwin Health Center
1717 Skyline Dr , Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Owned by the same company that runs the center mentioned just above this listing, this is another training opportunity that is currently available in PA. For best results, apply in person at the address provided above.
Low Cost CNA Training Programs
1) Fayette County Career and Technical Institute
While most programs in PA cost upwards of $900, this one is quite reasonably priced at $595. They are also registered as an approved provider which means you can potentially get your training paid for via Career Link (or a one stop career center/Workforce office) if you qualify. As with all training programs you will need a Criminal check, FBI check and a standard TB test to get enrolled. To get in touch with them, Please use the following address: 175 Georges Fairchance Road, Uniontown, PA 15401. Phone: 724 437 2721
Scholarships And Grants For Vocational Nursing in PA
1) The Jack E. Barger, Sr. Memorial Nursing Fund – Nursing Foundation of Pennsylvania
The scholarship fund was created in 1989 by the Department of Pennsylvania Veterans of Foreign Wars in order to address the states nursing shortage. In order to qualify for the scholarship, the nursing student must meet the following criteria:
- Be an active service member, U.S. veteran or the child or spouse of a veteran or active duty service member
- Must be a resident of Pennsylvania
The scholarship selection is done by lottery. The drawing will be held within two weeks of the application deadline. The amount awarded is $1000.The winners are required to attend the local VFW district meeting to accept the scholarship.
Institutions That Can be Of Assistance
1) Job Training for Beaver Country
277 Beaver Valley Mall, Monaca, PA 15061 Phone: 724-728-2020
2) Delaware County Workforce Development Office
1570 Garrett Road, Suite A, Upper Darby, PA 19082
3) JobTrackPA-Luzerne County Community College
1333 South Prospect Street, Nanticoke, PA 18634, Phone: 1-800-377-5222
Nursing homes that might be offering Free CNA Training classes in Pennsylvania
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. This is a list of the best nursing homes in the state of Pennsylvania. This is simply to get you started in your search for nursing homes that may have active CNA vacancies. After this list is a short way to maximize your chances of landing free training.
- Ambler Rest Center – 32 South Bethlehem Pike Ambler, Pennsylvania 19002
- Andorra Woods Healthcare Center – 9209 Ridge Pike White Marsh, Pennsylvania 19128
- Angela Jane Pavilion – 8410 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19152
- Arbor View At Willow Valley – 211 Willow Valley Square Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17602
- Arbutus Park Manor – 207 Ottawa Street Johnstown, Pennsylvania 15904
- Beaver Valley Nursing And Reha – 257 Georgetown Road Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania 15010
- Belair Health And Rehabilitati – 100 Little Road Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania 15068
- Belle Haven – 1320 Mill Road Quakertown, Pennsylvania 18951
- Belle Reve Health Care Center – 404 East Harford Street Milford, Pennsylvania 18337
- Care Pavilion Of Walnut Park – 63rd And Walnut Streets Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19139
- Carleton Senior Care And Rehab – 10 West Avenue Wellsboro, Pennsylvania 16901
- Cathedral Village – 600 East Cathedral Road Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19128
- Cedar Haven – 590 South Fifth Avenue Lebanon, Pennsylvania 17042
- Centre Crest Home – 502 East Howard Street Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823
- Evangelical Manor – 8401 Roosevelt Boulevard Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19152
- Evergreen Nursing Center – 191 Evergreen Mill Road Harmony, Pennsylvania 16037
- Fair Winds Manor – 126 Iron Bridge Road Sarver, Pennsylvania 16055
- Fairmount Homes – 219 Cats Back Road Ephrata, Pennsylvania 17522
- Hometown Nursing And Rehab Cen – “Rr #2, Box 118-B” Tamaqua, Pennsylvania 18252
- Homewood At Martinsburg Pa Inc – 430 South Market Street Martinsburg, Pennsylvania 16662
- Horizon Senior Care – 300 Barr Street Canonsburg, Pennsylvania 15317
- Hospitality Care Center Of Her – 3726 East State Street Hermitage, Pennsylvania 16148
- Hrh Transitional Care Unit – 1648 Huntingdon Pike Meadowbrook, Pennsylvania 19046
How To Get Training From Nursing Homes
If you’re really passionate about becoming a CNA, it isn’t very difficult to get a nursing home to subsidize or pay for your training at no cost to you.
- Find those that have current CNA vacancies. You can do this by going to any jobs website and finding CNA related jobs in your city. A nursing home that has multiple CNA vacancies is usually understaffed and requires CNA’s immediately. This is where you’re going to have the most chances of succeeding.
- Don’t apply on the listing itself. Instead, find a direct email address for the HR department. Note: You’ll usually get this by Google-ing the name of the nursing home.
- Write a short email referring to the vacancy you’ve noticed on the job site. In this email, you need to be able to show a willingness to become a nursing assistant and detail why you are unable to afford or pay for the classes.
- Usually, nursing homes will consider your willingness and passion to become a CNA as a valuable asset to have in their team. They will offer to subsidize or pay for your training.