You will need to attend a CNA training course approved by the State Board of Nursing if you want to become a CNA in Arizona. The training course will cover topics such as: infection control, patient rights, emergency care, acute care and restorative care. The course will prepare you for the examination you must pass before receiving certification. We’ve listed a few free training opportunities below.
1) Contact your local job placement agencies if you are currently out of work and seeking employment as a CNA. Often times, you can receive assistance with some basic training for a new career through job placement and training agencies. You might be able to receive a type of grant that will allow you to cover the cost of certified nursing assistant training.
2) Call the State Board of Nursing in Arizona because they are the organization that approves certified nursing assistant training. They should be able to tell you if the state is currently partnering with any CNA training locations to offer free cna training to qualified individuals. The person with whom you speak might also be able to point you in the direction of any agencies that can help pay for your training.
3) Start calling around to nursing homes and related facilities in your local area. A large majority of training programs are held at these facilities. Many of these facilities will hire individuals to work for them as certified nursing assistants. They will often provide you with free training if you will work for that healthcare provider for a certain amount of time. You are being paid to train to work for them. After working there for a set amount of time (usually several months to one year), you can then decide if you want to continue working there or to seek employment somewhere else.
4) There are other places to look for CNA training in Arizona as well. Many community colleges and continuing education providers offer CNA training. You can sometimes find training at a nursing college as well. Contact the administrators of these programs to determine if they offer any types of financial assistance or scholarships.
Free Training Options in Arizona
1) Training as a Caregiver
Get a slightly lesser salary than a CNA but make the same amount of difference in someone’s life by getting training as a Caregiver. Apple Tree Home Care offers training twice a month under the guidance of a registered nurse. Not only do they train you, they might also hire you and pay $8 to $10 an hour with the potential for more 90 days from starting work. Their address is:
17220 N. Boswell Blvd. Ste 230E
Sun City, AZ 85373
Institutions That Can Be Of Assistance
Goodwill of Central Arizona
417 N. 16th St., Phoenix, AZ 85006
The Goodwill Organization located in Central Arizona is known for helping to provide people for training for gainful work opportunities. They are currently able to connect those who need training to access better employment with computer training. A customer service course track is also available. The Goodwill also offers programs to provide other Adult Education Services.
Central Arizona College-Renewable Energy Technology Training
8470 N Overfield Rd. Coolidge, AZ 85128 Phone: (520) 494-5444
Central Arizona College has taken part in free training for individuals who are looking to work in the Renewable Energy Fields. Job seekers can apply to receive training through the college at no cost out of their own pockets. An individual will need to be at least 18 to take part in this program that has received funding through the Department of Labor. Other colleges in Arizona might be offering similar training programs at no cost.
The Sullivan Jackson Employment Center
400 E. 26th Street, Tucson, AZ 85713, Phone: (520) 838-3300
This employment center has been working to aid homeless individuals in Arizona for more than 25 years. One of their goals is to help people with no home to train for careers where they can find employment and get back on their feet and back into homes of their home. The center does receive assistance from the US Hud Department. The programs are intended to help meet all the basic needs of an individual who is homeless so they are ready to obtain employment and begin a new life.
Nursing homes in Arizona that might be offering Low Cost CNA training
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. It is however common for nursing homes to employ you and then pay for your training at another facility. Make sure you look for those with active vacancies as some might not be offering training. Always be polite and courteous.
- Boswell Extended Care Center – 10401 West Thunderbird Road Sun City, Arizona 85351 Phone: (623) 876-5392
- Brighton Gardens Of Scottsdale – 6001 East Thomas Road Scottsdale, Arizona 85251 Phone: (480) 941-2222
- Capri Care Center – 1501 E Orangewood Avenue Phoenix, Arizona 85020 Phone: (602) 944-1574
- Carondelet Holy Cross Hospital – 1171 West Target Range Road Nogales, Arizona 85621 Phone: (520) 285-3000
- Catalina Health Care Center – 2611 North Warren Avenue Tucson, Arizona 85719 Phone: (520) 795-9574
- Chandler Health Care Center – 2121 West Elgin Street Chandler, Arizona 85224 Phone: (480) 899-6717
- Forum At Desert Harbor – 13840 North Desert Harbor Drive Peoria, Arizona 85381 Phone: (866) 344-4946
- Fountain View Village – 16455 East Avenue Of The Fountains Fountain Hills, Arizona 85268 Phone: (480) 836-4800
- Friendship Village Tempe – 2645 E Southern Ave. Tempe, Arizona 85282 Phone: (480) 831-5000
- Gardens Care Center – 3131 Western Avenue Kingman, Arizona 86401 Phone: (928) 718-0718
- Gila River Indian Care Center – 8201 West Baseline Road Laveen, Arizona 85339 Phone: (520) 430-3813
- Glencroft Care Center – 8641 North 67th Ave Glendale, Arizona 85302 Phone: (623) 939-9475
- Good Shepherd Retirement Ctr. – 10323 West Olive Avenue Peoria, Arizona 85345 Phone: (623) 875-0100
- Life Care Center Of Sierra Vista – 2305 East Wilcox Drive Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635 Phone: (520) 458-1050
- Life Care Center Of Yuma – 2450 19th Ave South Yuma, Arizona 85364 Phone: (928) 344-0425
- Manzanita Skilled Nursing – 807 West Longhorn Road Payson, Arizona 85541 Phone: (928) 474-1120
- Silver Ridge Village – 2812 Silver Creek Road Bullhead City, Arizona 86442 Phone: (928) 763-1404
Free CNA Training FAQ
I let my CNA training expire a few years ago. I need to get some free CNA classes in Arkansas.
Is there a way to get some free CNA training classes in San Antonio?