You can start a rewarding career helping patients in healthcare settings with activities of daily living while helping the rest of the healthcare staff to provide basic care and monitor vital signs for patients by becoming a CNA. California requires a total of 160 hours of theoretical and clinical training for potential CNAs. You must pass the exam for certification to become certified as well. There are paid CNA programs as well as some no cost cna training opportunities. You’ll find many free training options for California below:
1) Some high schools in California train students who do not intend to attend college for careers that do not require a degree. It is not uncommon for these high schools to provide students with the necessary state approved training to sit for the CNA certification exam and work as a certified nursing assistant. Assuming that a student attends a high school that is tuition free, they will receive free cna training. This provides a good way for a student to begin an entry-level healthcare field right out of high school.
2) Nursing care facilities in the state of California often offer the potential for Low cost cna training. You will typically need to sign a contract agreeing to work for the facility for a certain amount of time in exchange for all necessary nursing assistant training. Contact local nursing care facilities in your area to express your interest in training to work as a CNA. To find out more read our article on How To Get Free Training From Nursing Care Facilities
3) It is sometimes possible to receive training from other healthcare facilities in California as well. You can contact hospitals and rehabilitation centers in your local area to determine if any of them hire certified nursing assistants. Then, you can inquire as to whether any of the facilities hire individuals to work as CNAs and provide their training.
Direct Free Training Listings in California
1) No Cost CNA Training from Homestead Schools, INC
Homestead Schools in Torrance is starting a CNA Program in March 2010 and is inviting applicants to join it with a very special offer: Pay no tuition for the entire 5-week-long program consisting of theory and clinical training at the end of which graduates will be able to take the board exam and become certified nurse assistants. The normal tuition for this program is $1,200 with some schools charging even more. Your only cost would be for the text books and uniforms, approx. $170
2) Training from In-Home Supportive Services Consortium
If you have home care experience, or just a sincere desire to help others, they will train you in the skills you need to provide competent, compassionate care to people in need. More details at http://www.ihssco.org/jobs_hcp.html
3) The California Long Term Care Education Center
This is a non profit organization in California that retrains the workforce to improve employment prospects. One of their training options is CNA training. To get more details and get in the waiting list Click Here
They have branches in all major cities of California such as San jose, Crescent city, San Francisco and El Centro.
4) Low Cost Training From The Oakland Unified School District
They have an excellent course that costs just $285 (includes books). The reason it is good is because unlike other classes this one lasts for 10 weeks. the training is thorough and class size is just 15 allowing more student teacher interaction. There are certain requirements though. You will need to have a GED or hish school diploma as well as be over the age of 18.
Call them on (510) 273-2300 for location and any other details.
5) R.O.P health Careers
Tuition free training is available depending on you meeting certain requirements. Call 822-5120 for more info. You will need to go to their centers to get assessed. Depending on how well you do in the assessment you will get called for orientation. Their classes are at no cost but you still need to pay for uniform, state exam and books.
6) Addus Healthcare
Addus HealthCare, Inc, 2401 S Plum Grove Road .Palatine, IL 60067 Phone: (847) 303-5300
Home Care Aide positions available at this nursing home that don’t require certification as a nursing assistant. You’ll be doing the same job but you won’t need a license. You’re also likely to pick up on the skills required and maybe even get employer sponsored training. They have positions in Walnut Creek at present.
7) Home Helpers
Locations available: Maher, CA. Rancho Cordova, CA. Sacramento, CA.
Home Care positions without qualification as a CNA. Again, similar to the above this is an excellent pathway to a career as a CNA if you can’t afford tuition at present. More info at: 800-216-4196 (Ask for the JOBS department)
Don’t Want To Read? See our brief video highlighting all the main opportunities:
Scholarships in California For Vocational Nursing
Health Professions Education Foundation California – Vocational Nurse Scholarship
400 R Street, Suite 460 Sacramento, CA 95811 Phone: (916) 326-3640 / (800) 773-1669
The Vocational Nurse Scholarship is funded through private grants and donations. In order to qualify for the scholarship, the applicant must be currently enrolled in a vocational nurse program in California, must be willing to work in a medically underserved area for two years and be free from any other obligation to work following completion of the program. The applicant may be awarded up to $4000. The scholarship is very competitive, so make sure and submit all documents prior to the deadline.
California Legion Auxiliary Past Presidents Parley Nursing Scholarship
The Past Presidents Parley Nursing Scholarship is awarded to one applicant annually who is a veteran or veteran’s wife or husband, widow or widower, or a child of a veteran of either World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada/Lebanon, Panama or Desert Shield/Desert Storm. All applicants must be a resident of California and are planning to enter or are currently enrolled in a accredited vocational nursing program. The awarded amount is $2000. The deadline for all applications is April of any given year.
Cal Grant Program
There are several Cal Grant awards available to qualifying students. The Cal Grant Program is funded by the State of California and does not need to be repaid. Depending on the grant received, applicants may be awarded up to $12,192 annually. The money may be used for tuition, books, room and board. The Cal Grant is only eligible at certain schools, which are listed on the programs website. All applications must be submitted by March 2nd in order to maximize your chances of receiving an award.
Institutions That Can Be Of Assistance
1) California Human Development
1249 Mangrove Avenue, Chico, CA 95926, 530-899-0624
The California Human Development has programs to help men and women who are looking to become more self sufficient. There are opportunities to receive help to receive job training and other educational opportunities in order to acquire excellent employment options. Housing assistance and other services are also available for those who qualify.
2) Mayor’s Summer Jobs Program-Oakland
1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612, Phone: (510) 444-CITY
This is a program offered through the Mayor’s office and and Workforce Investment Board. The program allows youth in the area to apply to the program to take part in internship programs during the summer. There are also pre-employment workshops that are a part of this program.
3) NOVA Training of Silicone Valley
505 West Olive Avenue, Sunnyvale, California 94085, Phone: 408-730-7232
This training agency does have funding to provide some job skills training opportunities. Anyone who receives training through this agency will be well prepared to be competitive for many different jobs within the employment market of the Silicone Valley Area.
4) California One Stop Career Center-Tri Cities
39155 Liberty Street, Suite B200, Freemont, CA 94538
The California One Stop Career Centers can help individuals who are displaced workers and who are unemployed for a variety of unavoidable reasons. In addition to helping individuals search for jobs and to brush up on general job search, interview and employment skills; these centers can connect people with training programs and tuition assistance programs for which they qualify.
Nursing homes that might give CNA Training for low Cost/No Charge in California
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. This list is a compilation of some of the best nursing homes in California. They do not provide free training but are a good place to start your search particularly those who have active CNA vacancies.
- Applewood Inn – 201 Hartnell Avenue Redding, California 96002 Phone: (530) 222-2273
- Ararat Convalescent Hospital – 2373 Colorado Blvd. Los Angeles, California 90041 Phone: (323) 256-8012
- Arbor Convalescent Hospital – 900 North Church Street Lodi, California 95240 Phone: (209) 333-8729
- Arcadia Health Care Center – 1601 S Baldwin Ave. Arcadia, California 91006 Phone: (323) 681-1504
- Briercrest Inglewood Health Ca – 301 Centinela Ave Inglewood, California 90302 Phone: (310) 672-1012
- Brighton Convalescent Center – 1836 N. Fair Oaks Pasadena, California 91103 Phone: (626) 798-9124
- Country Villa Hacienda Healthcare – 1311 East Date Street San Bernardino, California 92404 Phone: (909) 882-3316
- Eden West Conv. Hosp. – 1805 West St. Hayward, California 94545 Phone: (855) 405-9953
- Edgewater Conv Hospital – 2625 East Fourth Street Long Beach, California 90814 Phone: (562) 434-0974
- Friends House – 684 Benicia Drive Santa Rosa, California 95409 Phone: (707) 538-0152
- Friendship Manor Lakeside – 11962 Woodside Avenue Lakeside, California 92040 Phone: (619) 561-1222
- Friendship Manor Nc – 902 South Euclid Avenue National City, California 92050 Phone: (619) 791-7700
- Jewish Home D/P Snf – 302 Silver Ave San Francisco, California 94112 Phone: (415) 334-2500
- John C. Fremont Healthcare Dis – 5189 Hospital Road Mariposa, California 95338 Phone: (209) 966-3631
- Julia Healthcare Center – 276 Sierra Vista Avenue Mountain View, California 94043 Phone: (650) 967-5714
- Kaiser Permanente Post Acute – 1440 168th Avenue San Leandro, California 94578 Phone: (510) 481-8575
- Manorcare Health Services – 24962 Calle Aragon Laguna Hills, California 92653 Phone: (949) 587-9000
- Manorcare Health Services – 7807 Uplands Way Citrus Heights, California 95610 Phone: (916) 967-2929
- Manorcare Health Serv Rossmoor – 1975 Tice Valley Blvd. Walnut Creek, California 94595 Phone: (925) 906-0200
- Oceanview Convalescent Hospital – 1340 15th Street Santa Monica, California 90404 Phone: (310) 451-9706
- Sherman Oaks Hosp H C D/P Snf – 4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks, California 91403 Phone: (818) 907-4531
- Sherman Village Care Center – 12750 Riverside Drive North Hollywood, California 91607 Phone: (818) 766-6105
- Sherwood Healthcare Center – 4700 Elvas Ave Sacramento, California 95819 Phone: (916) 454-4700
Quick Recap of Free Training Options in California
Can you help me get classes in Fort Worth Click Here?
I forgot to renew my certification. I need classes in florida. More info
Can you help me get some classes in kentucky? Read More