You can start a rewarding career helping patients in healthcare settings with activities of daily living while helping the rest of the healthcare staff to provide basic care and monitor vital signs for patients by becoming a CNA. California requires a total of 160 hours of theoretical and clinical training for potential CNAs. You must pass the exam for certification to become certified as well. There are paid CNA programs as well as some no cost cna training opportunities. You’ll find many free training options for California below:
1) Some high schools in California train students who do not intend to attend college for careers that do not require a degree. It is not uncommon for these high schools to provide students with the necessary state approved training to sit for the CNA certification exam and work as a certified nursing assistant. Assuming that a student attends a high school that is tuition free, they will receive free cna training. This provides a good way for a student to begin an entry-level healthcare field right out of high school.
2) Nursing care facilities in the state of California often offer the potential for Low cost cna training. You will typically need to sign a contract agreeing to work for the facility for a certain amount of time in exchange for all necessary nursing assistant training. Contact local nursing care facilities in your area to express your interest in training to work as a CNA. To find out more read our article on How To Get Free Training From Nursing Care Facilities
3) It is sometimes possible to receive training from other healthcare facilities in California as well. You can contact hospitals and rehabilitation centers in your local area to determine if any of them hire certified nursing assistants. Then, you can inquire as to whether any of the facilities hire individuals to work as CNAs and provide their training.
Direct Free Training Listings in California
1) No Cost CNA Training from Homestead Schools, INC
Homestead Schools in Torrance is starting a CNA Program in March 2010 and is inviting applicants to join it with a very special offer: Pay no tuition for the entire 5-week-long program consisting of theory and clinical training at the end of which graduates will be able to take the board exam and become certified nurse assistants. The normal tuition for this program is $1,200 with some schools charging even more. Your only cost would be for the text books and uniforms, approx. $170
2) Training from In-Home Supportive Services Consortium
If you have home care experience, or just a sincere desire to help others, they will train you in the skills you need to provide competent, compassionate care to people in need. More details at http://www.ihssco.org/jobs_hcp.html
3) The California Long Term Care Education Center
This is a non profit organization in California that retrains the workforce to improve employment prospects. One of their training options is CNA training. To get more details and get in the waiting list Click Here
They have branches in all major cities of California such as San jose, Crescent city, San Francisco and El Centro.
4) Low Cost Training From The Oakland Unified School District
They have an excellent course that costs just $285 (includes books). The reason it is good is because unlike other classes this one lasts for 10 weeks. the training is thorough and class size is just 15 allowing more student teacher interaction. There are certain requirements though. You will need to have a GED or hish school diploma as well as be over the age of 18.
Call them on (510) 273-2300 for location and any other details.
5) R.O.P health Careers
Tuition free training is available depending on you meeting certain requirements. Call 822-5120 for more info. You will need to go to their centers to get assessed. Depending on how well you do in the assessment you will get called for orientation. Their classes are at no cost but you still need to pay for uniform, state exam and books.
6) Addus Healthcare
Addus HealthCare, Inc, 2401 S Plum Grove Road .Palatine, IL 60067 Phone: (847) 303-5300
Home Care Aide positions available at this nursing home that don’t require certification as a nursing assistant. You’ll be doing the same job but you won’t need a license. You’re also likely to pick up on the skills required and maybe even get employer sponsored training. They have positions in Walnut Creek at present.
7) Home Helpers
Locations available: Maher, CA. Rancho Cordova, CA. Sacramento, CA.
Home Care positions without qualification as a CNA. Again, similar to the above this is an excellent pathway to a career as a CNA if you can’t afford tuition at present. More info at: 800-216-4196 (Ask for the JOBS department)
Scholarships in California For Vocational Nursing
Cal Grant Program
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027 Phone: 1-888-224-7268
The Cal Grant is a perfect way to pay for your CNA training. This grant covers tuition costs up to $12,192 which is more than enough for an intensive nurse aide course. They have differet grant options available. You would probably qualify under option C where you are eligible for $547 (books and equipment) and $2462 for tuition at a non community college. They have both need based and competitive grants. They award a lot of grants every year so its one of the better grants to apply for.
Institutions That Can Be Of Assistance
1) California Human Development
1249 Mangrove Avenue, Chico, CA 95926, 530-899-0624
2) Mayor’s Summer Jobs Program-Oakland
1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612, Phone: (510) 444-CITY
3) NOVA Training of Silicone Valley
505 West Olive Avenue, Sunnyvale, California 94085, Phone: 408-730-7232
4) California One Stop Career Center-Tri Cities
39155 Liberty Street, Suite B200, Freemont, CA 94538
Nursing homes that might give CNA Training for low Cost/No Charge in California
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. They do not provide free training but are a good place to start your search particularly those who have active CNA vacancies.
- Applewood Inn – 201 Hartnell Avenue Redding, California 96002 Phone: (530) 222-2273
- Ararat Convalescent Hospital – 2373 Colorado Blvd. Los Angeles, California 90041 Phone: (323) 256-8012
- Arbor Convalescent Hospital – 900 North Church Street Lodi, California 95240 Phone: (209) 333-8729
- Arcadia Health Care Center – 1601 S Baldwin Ave. Arcadia, California 91006 Phone: (323) 681-1504
- Briercrest Inglewood Health Ca – 301 Centinela Ave Inglewood, California 90302 Phone: (310) 672-1012
- Brighton Convalescent Center – 1836 N. Fair Oaks Pasadena, California 91103 Phone: (626) 798-9124
- Country Villa Hacienda Healthcare – 1311 East Date Street San Bernardino, California 92404 Phone: (909) 882-3316
- Eden West Conv. Hosp. – 1805 West St. Hayward, California 94545 Phone: (855) 405-9953
- Edgewater Conv Hospital – 2625 East Fourth Street Long Beach, California 90814 Phone: (562) 434-0974
- Friends House – 684 Benicia Drive Santa Rosa, California 95409 Phone: (707) 538-0152
- Friendship Manor Lakeside – 11962 Woodside Avenue Lakeside, California 92040 Phone: (619) 561-1222
- Friendship Manor Nc – 902 South Euclid Avenue National City, California 92050 Phone: (619) 791-7700
- Jewish Home D/P Snf – 302 Silver Ave San Francisco, California 94112 Phone: (415) 334-2500
- John C. Fremont Healthcare Dis – 5189 Hospital Road Mariposa, California 95338 Phone: (209) 966-3631
- Julia Healthcare Center – 276 Sierra Vista Avenue Mountain View, California 94043 Phone: (650) 967-5714
- Kaiser Permanente Post Acute – 1440 168th Avenue San Leandro, California 94578 Phone: (510) 481-8575
- Manorcare Health Services – 24962 Calle Aragon Laguna Hills, California 92653 Phone: (949) 587-9000
- Manorcare Health Services – 7807 Uplands Way Citrus Heights, California 95610 Phone: (916) 967-2929
- Manorcare Health Serv Rossmoor – 1975 Tice Valley Blvd. Walnut Creek, California 94595 Phone: (925) 906-0200
- Oceanview Convalescent Hospital – 1340 15th Street Santa Monica, California 90404 Phone: (310) 451-9706
- Sherman Oaks Hosp H C D/P Snf – 4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks, California 91403 Phone: (818) 907-4531
- Sherman Village Care Center – 12750 Riverside Drive North Hollywood, California 91607 Phone: (818) 766-6105
- Sherwood Healthcare Center – 4700 Elvas Ave Sacramento, California 95819 Phone: (916) 454-4700
Can you help me get classes in Fort Worth Click Here?
I forgot to renew my certification. I need classes in florida. More info
Can you help me get some classes in kentucky? Read More