If you are interested in a career in nursing but are not yet ready for the time and expense to become a nurse, you should consider training as a certified nursing assistant. A CNA is an entry-level nursing position in which you provide some basic (primarily non-medical) care for patients. It will be necessary to locate a state approved training program and pass the certification exam that follows before receiving certification in Colorado. We’ve compiled a few training options available in Colorado below:
1) Long Term Care Facilities: You can start to look for free nursing assistant training in Colorado by contacting local long-term care facilities and other nursing care facilities. These employers often provide CNA training for free to prospective CNAs. You must agree to work for the facility for several months or more upon completion of your free cna training. Most nursing care facilities will also reimburse you for your training if you paid out of pocket and are subsequently hired to work as a CNA.
2) Community Colleges: There are many community colleges in Colorado that offer state approved CNA training programs. These programs will have tuition and fees associated with them. However, you can often apply for grants and scholarships for programs offered at colleges. You will receive free cna training if you qualify for enough grants and scholarships to cover the cost of tuition and expenses.
3) Unemployment Offices: If you are unemployed or are very low income, it is sometimes possible to receive assistance receiving training to start a new career. In the state of Colorado, some of the potential training options include CNA training. Sometimes you can access programs that will cover the entire cost of your training, therefore providing you with free cna training.
4) Board of Nursing: Contact the Board of Nursing in Colorado if you are trying to find free cna training options. They can provide you with information on any potential free training that you can receive in your area.
Direct Free Training Listings
Goodwill Industries of Colorado Springs
The Goodwill Industries of Colorado Springs are offering a free CNA program to selected applicants. It is offered as part of its Welfare to Work program where they help retrain workers to give them a possibility of employment in the healthcare sector.
The first initiative was started in July this year where 9 applicants were selected from a total of 90 that applied. The next batch should begin soon. For more information on this opportunity, please contact the Goodwill Industries using the following contact info:
Goodwill Industries of Colorado Springs
1675 W. Garden of the Gods Rd.
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Phone: (719) 444-5041
Fax: (719) 444-5054
7100 E. Belleview Avenue, Suite 102, Greenwood Village, CO, Phone:+1 303-758-7290
This is more of a job listing than a free training position. Unlike other entries in this list, this is primarily here to show you that you can get started on your CNA career without getting trained due to job opportunities like this. Homewatch is looking to hire caregivers and they will hire you even if you’re not a CNA. You will do pretty much everything a CNA does save a few medical tasks. The difference in pay between qualified CNA’s and caregiver is just $0.50 at this organization. They have also mentioned that they will provide additional training if they want you to do more tasks.
Home Instead Senior Care
588 N. Hwy 287 #200, Lafayette, CO 80026, Phone: 720-890-0184
Same opportunity as above. They are a very reputable senior care organization and have provided a stepping stone to many caregivers who have gone on to become CNA’s.
Nursing Related Scholarships
Latin American Education Foundation (LAEF)
561 Santa Fe Dr, Denver, CO 80204, Phone: +1 303-446-0541
The Latin American Education Foundation was established in 1949 and runs a scholarships that awards $1000 to undergraduate and graduate students. While CNA training isn’t eligible for this, you can use the funds for an undergraduate nursing degree such as a BSN or RN. Great opportunity even though the amount given is minimal. This is a need and merit scholarship.
Institutions That Can Help
Colorado Existing Industry Grants-Aims Community College
5590 W. 11th Street, PO Box 69, Greeley, CO 80632
Workforce Board Boulder County
2520 55th Street, Suite 100, Boulder, CO 80301, 303-301-2900
Workforce Center Veteran Services-Denver
1391 N. Speer Blvd., Suite 520, Denver, CO 80204
Nursing homes in the state of Colorado that might offer Free CNA Training
Note: These nursing homes DO NOT Provide CNA training directly. It is however common for nursing homes to employ you and then pay for your training at another facility.
- Camellia Care Center – 500 Geneva Street Aurora, Colorado 80010 Phone: (303) 364-9311
- Canon Lodge Care Center – 905 Harding Avenue Canon City, Colorado 81212 Phone: (719) 275-4106
- Castle Rock Care Center – 4001 Home Street Castle Rock, Colorado 80104 Phone: (303) 688-3174
- Cedardale Health Care Centre – 720 Clay Street Wray, Colorado 80758 Phone: (970) 332-5375
- Cedars Health Care Center – 1599 Ingalls Street Lakewood, Colorado 80214 Phone: (303) 232-3551
- Cheyenne Manor – 561 West 1st North/P O Box 938 Cheyenne Wells, Colorado 80810 Phone: (719) 767-5602
- Cheyenne Mountain Care Center – 835 Tenderfoot Hill Road Colorado Springs, Colorado 80906 Phone: (719) 576-8380
- Christian Living Campus-Johnson Center – 5000 East Arapahoe Road Centennial, Colorado 80122 (303) 779-5000
- Christian Living Campus-University Hill – 2480 South Clermont Street Denver, Colorado 80222 Phone: (303) 758-4528
- Four Corners Health Care Center – 2911 Junction Street Durango, Colorado 81301 Phone: (970) 247-2215
- Fowler Health Care Center – “221 2nd Street, P O Box 398″ Fowler, Colorado 81039 Phone: (719) 263-4234
- Frasier Meadows Manor – 4950 Thunderbird Drive Boulder, Colorado 80303 Phone: (303) 499-4888
- Garden Of The Gods Care Center – 104 Lois Lane Colorado Springs, Colorado 80904 Phone: (719) 635-2569
- Garden Terrace Alzheimer’s Center Of Excellence – 1600 South Potomac Street Aurora, Colorado 80012 Phone: (303) 750-8418
- Mountain Meadows Nursing Center – 2277 East Drive Monte Vista, Colorado 81144 Phone: (719) 852-5138
- Mountain View Care Center – 2612 West Cucharras Street Colorado Springs, Colorado 80904 Phone: (719) 643-2747
- Mountain Vista Health Center – 4800 Tabor Street Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80033 Phone: (303) 421-4161
- Mullen Home/Little Sisters Of The Poor – 3629 West 29th Avenue Denver, Colorado 80211 Phone: (303) 433-7221
- North Colorado Medical Center T C U – 1801 16th Street Greeley, Colorado 80631 Phone: (970) 350-6544
- Sierra Vista Healthcare Center – 821 Duffield Court Loveland, Colorado 80537 Phone: (970) 669-0345
- Simla Good Samaritan Center – 320 Pueblo Avenue Simla, Colorado 80835 Phone: (719) 541-2269
- Skyline Ridge – 515 Fairview Street Canon City, Colorado 81212 Phone: (719) 275-0665
Is there a possibility of getting free CNA classes in North Dakota?
I just got laid off. I need free CNA classes in Dallas, Tx. Can you help?
Other state listings: